RECIPE TYPE: side, starters
CUISINE: indo chinese
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 small carrot, about 50 gms or ¼ cup grated carrots
- 5 to 6 button mushrooms or ¾ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, about ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic/lahsun
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger/adrak
- 2 tsp finely chopped celery (optional)
- 4 to 5 tsp corn starch dissolved in 2 tbsp water (for a slight thicker consistency in the soup, dissolve 6 to 7 tsp corn starch in 3 tbsp water)
- ¾ tsp black pepper or white pepper or ¾ tsp red chili paste or green chili sauce
- 3 tsp soy sauce or add as required
- 2 tsp rice vinegar or add as required
- 2.5 cups water or veg stock
- 2 to 3 tsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- first rinse and shred the cabbage and french beans. wipe the mushrooms with a wet cloth and then slice them. rinse, peel and grate the carrots. chop the onions, ginger and garlic.
- heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or wok/kadai.
- add finely chopped onion, ginger and garlic. stir and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- then add the finely chopped french beans. stir and add the sliced mushrooms.
- on a medium to high flame, stir fry till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges.
- meanwhile make a paste of corn starch and water. keep aside.
- once the mushrooms are lightly browned (takes about 5 to 6 minutes on a medium to high flame) add carrots, cabbage and celery.
- stir fry these veggies on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- add water or veg stock. stir well. add soy sauce and stir.
- then season with salt. keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has a lot of salt. i added just about one-fourth teaspoon first and adjusted towards the end.
- bring the soup to a simmer on medium flame.
- stir the corn starch paste and add it to the soup. stir again very well.
- allow the soup to thicken on a low to medium flame.
- when the soup has thickened, add black pepper or white pepper and vinegar.
- give a final stir. switch off the flame. check the taste and add more soy sauce, vinegar or salt or black pepper if required.
- serve the veg hot and sour soup steaming hot garnished with coriander leaves. you can also just add the coriander leaves towards the end and then serve.